Watch films incorporating themes related to the rescue of Jews during the Holocaust; our Museum will be happy to provide you with information on both Polish and foreign films on this subject, including both documentaries and feature films. Each item pertaining to a specific film includes a brief description and a plot summary.
- Ukrywałem Żydów, cykl „Świadkowie historii”, Polska, dokumentalny, 33 min.
- Unveiling of a Monument to Jan Karski, Sławomir Grünberg, USA
- Voices from the Attic, Debbie Goodstein, USA, Documentary film, 59 min
Rescued as a child, Sally Frishberg returns to Poland to see the attic where she and her family had hidden. In all, sixteen people hid there, thirteen of whom survived. The film concludes when she meets eighty-year-old Maria Grocholska with whom Sally’s family were in hiding.
- W cieniu zapomnienia. Życie i twórczość Zofii Kossak-Szczuckiej, Lucyna Smolińska, 2006, Poland, Documentary film, 56 min
This is a documentary about Zofia Kossak-Szczucka, underground activist and co-founder of the “Żegota” Council to Aid Jews. After the War, she was honoured with the title of Righteous Among the Nations.
- W imię ich matek. Historia Ireny Sendlerowej, Mary Skinner, 2010, Poland, USA, Documentary film, 58 min
The story of Irena Sendler and a group of young Polish women who risked their lives to save Jewish children from the Warsaw ghetto in Nazi-occupied Poland during World War II.
- ... wpisany w gwiazdę Dawida – krzyż, Grzegorz Linkowski, Poland, Documentary film, 28 min.
Raised in a deeply religious Catholic family, the central character of this film, after graduating from high school, decided to enter a seminary. However, this decision was met with resistance from his father. Given the circumstances, his mother then admitted that he was actually a Jewish child who had been rescued from the Święciany ghetto in the Vilna region. When his biological mother gave him up as an infant, she foresaw that he would become a Catholic priest. Father Romouald Jakub Weksler-Waszkinel added his Jewish surname to his Polish one. He also wears a cross, inset with a Star of David.
- W poszukiwaniu utraconych lat, Jan Sosiński, 2001, Poland, Documentary film, 54 min
As well as Israeli writer Etgar Keret, this film features Poles who hid Jews during the Holocaust. They include Mieczysław Gosk, as well as Zdzisław Szparkowski, who tells Katarzyna Groniec who he rescued forty-seven people. He was honoured with the title of Righteous Among the Nations.
- Wróżka z getta, Maria Nockowska, Studio Filmowe Autograf (dla TVP), Poland, Documentary film, 15 min.
A film dedicated to Irena Sendler.
- W świetle, Jolanta Dylewska, 2012, Poland, Documentary film, 27 min
This film documents a meeting between Agnieszka Holland, director of the film In Darkness, with Krystyna Chiger, author of the book upon which the film as based.
- Wytrwałość, Małgorzta Imielska, 2015, Poland, Documentary film
Ben Barenholz was born in Kovel in 1935. With his parents and brother, he spent almost two years hiding in a ditch dug out in a forest. For many years, he endeavoured to locate the family who had helped them to survive. After the War, he came to the USA.