March of Remembrance Marking 75th Anniversary of "Operation Reinhardt"
This year's March will honour the memory of members of Oneg Szabat, an underground group led by Emanuel Ringelblum in the Warsaw Ghetto. It was active in collecting and comprehensively documenting the fate of the Jews under German occupation. The Oneg Szabat Archive (also called the Ringelblum Archive), created during the occupation, is located within the Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw.
For the first time, representatives of government and of cultural institutions from cities around Poland, from where Jews were transported to the Warsaw Ghetto, have been invited to participate. Those transported, together with Warsaw residents, died a cruel death in the gas chambers of Treblinka, beginning on 22nd July 1942. All this was as a result of "Operation Reinhardt".
Begun in 2012, the march through the streets of Warsaw has as its aim honouring the largest Jewish community in pre-War Europe – 300,000 of whom were murdered in the Terblinka II German extermination camp.
The March will begin at the Umschlagplatz, on 22nd July at 7:00 pm. It will follow a symbolic route along Stawki, Karmelicka, Nowolipki and Anders Streets. It will finish at the front of the Jewish Historical Institute building. Let's walk together along this symbolic path "from death to life", restoring the memory of three million Jews – Polish citizens, fellow residents of cities and towns, our neighbours and friends.
Partners in this year's March of Remembrance:
- Forum Dialogu (Dialogue Forum)
- Fundacja Centrum Taubego (Taube Foundation Centre)
- Fundacja Pamięć Treblinki (Treblinka Remembrance Foundation)
- Fundacja Shalom (Shalom Foundation)
- Gmina Wyznaniowa Żydowska w Warszawie (Jewish Community Council of Warsaw)
- Hillel Warszawa (Hillel Warsaw)
- Jewish Community Center
- Muzeum Historii Żydów Polskich POLIN (POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews)
- Stowarzyszenie Drugie Pokolenie – Potomkowie Ocalałych z Holokaustu (Second Generation Asociation – Descendants of Holocaust Survivors)
- Stowarzyszenie „Dzieci Holocaustu” w Polsce (Children of the Holocaust Association in Poland)
- Stowarzyszenie Żydowski Instytut Historyczny (Association of the Jewish Historical Institute)
- Urząd Dzielnicy Śródmieście m. st. Warszawy (Śródmieście District Administration of Warsaw)
- Urząd Dzielnicy Wola m. st. Warszawy (Wola District Administration of Warsaw)
This year's March of Remembrance is financially supported by MKiDN, as part of marking the 75th anniversary of "Operation Reinhardt" and the Holocaust of Polish Jews perptrated by the Germans.