Budynski Wladyslaw

enlarge map

Story of Rescue - Budynski Wladyslaw

Before the war, Władysław Budyński lived in Cracow, where he grew up among his many Jewish friends.Until the year 1939, he had worked as a primary school teacher, whilst from December 1942, he was employed with “Kraus et. Co”, a German truck and transport company on Grzegórzecka Street in Cracow. He was also a Communist, active underground as a member of the Polish Workers’ Party.

In December 1942, Budyński met Czesława Bandalowa (real name: Chana Landau) who came to Cracow from Lvov.They got married on 15 May 1943 in Lvov. It was only after some time that he learned about her Jewish origin. Czesława pointed out to her husband the members of her family and prewar friends living in Cracow and the neighbourhood, who needed help.

During the war, Budyński helped Jews to obtain the so-called Aryan documents and find a safe job, or even took part in taking fugitives away from the Płaszów camp (in the early period of its existence - until the middle of the year 1943).He reported after the war: “We had the possibility to provide such help in my apartment, that is, to shelter those most in need, provide necessary food or even arrange the required false certificates of employment - help to obtain safe employment, or even false documents demonstrating the Aryan origin.” He helped, among others, Dawid Degen, hiding as Jan Barski, Jadwiga Sabina Ludwińska and a woman with the Aryan documents for the name Stanisława Wilk. He helped two Jewish girls nicknamed “Andzia” and “Józia” (after the war: Wisia Schwarz), hiding in the district Osiedle Oficerskie, to find a job. They both worked for the Germans: Willy Koschinski and his superior. Due to the nature of his activity, Budyński often did not know real names of those people. He provided help without remuneration.

In 1944, Czesława (Chana) and Władysław were caught by the Gestapo on the charge of their underground activity.After interrogations and tortures they were both sent to concentration camps. Władysław was sent to the German camp Gross-Rosen, then to KL Mauthausen and, finally, to KL Dachau, whilst Czesława, 4-month pregnant at that time, was sent to FKL Ravensbrück, where she gave birth to a son - Władysław - on 23 November 1944. The child died as a result of pseudo-medical experiments performed on him in the camp.

After the war, Czesława and Władysław Budyński returned to Poland and, in 1969, they emigrated to Sweden.After the war, they kept in touch with “Andzia” and “Józia” living in Israel and with Dawid Degen residing in Gdańsk.


  • Ludwińska Jadwiga Sabina, Życie nielegalne, Warszawa 1988
  • Ludwińska Jadwiga Sabina, Drogi i ludzie, Warszawa 1969
  • Gutman Israel red. nacz., Księga Sprawiedliwych wśród Narodów Świata, Ratujący Żydów podczas Holocaustu, Kraków 2009
  • Biberstein A., Zagłada Żydów w Krakowie, Kraków 2001
  • Archiwum Yad Vashem, 2329