The Council to Aid Jews "Żegota"
It was the only state-sponsored organisation in occupied Europe which was set up with the aim of saving Jews. Read more about the establishment of the Council, its members and structure, its activities, its remembrance in Poland and Israel as well as memorabilia from the collection of POLIN Museum.
The History of "Żegota"
The Council was established on 4th December 1942 by the Government Delegation for Poland to replace the "Konrad Żegota" Provisional Committee to Aid Jews.
The Structure of "Żegota"
The work of the Council was streamlined into departments: legal, finance, residential, anti-blackmail, propaganda, children, medical and clothing.
Members of "Żegota"
The Council comprised representatives of various political parties - both right-wing and left-wing, Polish and Jewish.
Mechanisms of "Żegota"
A dozen or so members of the Council to Aid Jews "Żegota" managed top-secret aid operations which were provided by political organisations, by communities and by individuals.
The "Felicja" Cell
"Felicja" was the codename of one of the Council's cells founded by Maurycy Herling-Grudziński. One-fifth of the Jews in hiding in Warsaw remained under its care.
Those Cared for by "Żegota"
The Council to Aid Jews "Żegota" helped escapees from ghettoes, from transports heading to extermination centre, as well as those left alive after German liquidation operations.
The collections of POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews contain memorabilia connected to "Żegota". Items have been donated to the Museum by other cultural institutions and by private individuals.
The essence of this commemoration is being passed on into the memory of the next generations. It takes various forms. The "Żegota", and the people connected with it, are honoured in both Poland and Israel.
Source Relating to "Żegota"
Presented here are selected sources – books, films and podcasts relating to the history of the Council, its members, its structure and its methods of activity.